SALW 2013 supported and endorsed by the National Assembly of SA
It’s the eve of 2013 South African Library Week and I’m very pleased to share with you the support of the National Assembly of South Africa. The following appeared in the MINUTES OF PROCEEDINGS OF NATIONAL ASSEMBLY held on THURSDAY, 14 MARCH 2013.
“9. The Acting Deputy Chief Whip of the Majority Party moved without notice:
That the House -
(1) notes that the Library and Information Association of South Africa (LIASA) is celebrating South African Library Week during 16 to 23 March 2013;
(2) further notes that the theme for this year’s event is: Educate Yourself at Your Library as libraries have always played a pivotal role in education and self-development;
(3) acknowledges that the theme provides an opportunity to bring to the attention of the country, community leaders and decision-makers the role that libraries play in educating communities and the nation at large;
(4) further acknowledges that librarians across the country will be hosting special programmes during this week to highlight the services and resources available in their facilities; and
(5) calls on all members of the public to visit their libraries during this period and participate in these activities.
The minutes are attached for your interest.
As the LIASA Executive we are extremely pleased at this show of support for South African Library Week. We believe that libraries are critical for the realisation of the goals of the National Development Plan.
Go out there and celebrate your library and be proud of your role as a library worker!