Librarian of the Year - Nominations for 2012
LIASA LIBRARIAN OF THE YEAR AWARD
Nomination for 2012
LIASA is proud to call for nominations for the Librarian of the Year Award for 2012
Prizes to be awarded: 1st R30 000; 2nd R20 000; 3rd R10 000
All finalists will receive a certificate of achievement at the LIASA Gala Dinner
The Librarian of the Year is a role model for the Library and Information Services community and a person whose contributions make a lasting impact on the sector.
A prize of R30, 000 will be awarded to the winner! This prestigious award may be used for any educational purpose (either visits to relevant institutions locally or internationally, attending relevant conferences or studies).
- Friday 10 August 2012 – Branch Nominations: The deadline for members to submit nominations to the Branches is 10 August 2012. Only those nominations received by the relevant LIASA Branch by this date are to be considered. The Branches will organize their own adjudication process and announce their Branch winner and finalist at their Annual General Meetings, prior to conference.
- 01 September 2012 – Submission of details of the Branch winner (finalist) to the National Office.
- September 2012 - National adjudication: Adjudication at a national level by an independent adjudication committee of the the Branch winners (finalists).
- 04 October 2012 – Final Announcement. The three finalists and the overall winner of the LIASA Librarian of the Year Award will be announced at the 2012 LIASA Conference Gala Dinner.
All nominations submitted will be treated with the strictest confidence. All nominees will be evaluated on the following criteria: The nominee should:
- Be a paid-up LIASA member for a minimum of 5 consecutive years
- Be knowledgeable about the LIS sector and its resources
- Demonstrate high levels of professionalism
- Currently engaged in LIS sector with a minimum of 5 years in the field.
- Must have a recognized LIS qualification.
Previous winners of the Librarian of the Year Award are not eligible for this award. Members of service providers of library related products are not eligible to participate in this award.
Members of the EXCO/ Representative Council/ and BRANCH BEC are eligible for this award.
Rules and Conditions
At least 5 branches should have chosen Branch winners to compete in the national adjudication process. Branches should organize their own adjudication process by an independent panel and one nominee (finalist) should be submitted to the National Office by 01 September 2012.
The nomination form must include:
- Nomination form to be completed and signed by the nominator
- A motivation statement, maximum 200 words signed by the nominator
- The motivation must be accompanied by a profile of the nominee which outlines the nominee’s opinion on the following:
- LIASA’s role in the LIS sector and the future role that the nominee believes LIASA should play.
- As the prestigious award winner, what would the projects/issues be that you would like to see addressed in the LIS sector.
The Branch finalist submission to the LIASA National Office must also include a short profile and photograph of their candidate. This information will be used to publicize details of the nominees prior to the awards ceremony.
Important things to note for the 3 successful awardees
- Upon submission of travel/conference/training arrangements to the LIASA National Office by the successful individual, the money will be deposited into her/his account
- The award is not redeemable for cash.
- On return/completion of trip/conference/training, they will:
- Submit a formal report to the LIASA EXCO.
- Write an article for the LIASA-in-Touch within a year of receiving the award.
- Make a presentation at the following year’s LIASA National Conference/AGM
- Contribute to the regular Librarian of the Year column in the LIASA-in-Touch.
Download the nomination form here.
16 January 2012